Audio Adrenaline have released their latest album Sound Of The Saints this week. With a brand new lineup, the album is full of heartfelt, poignant, emotional, explosive and impacting pop/rock/worship anthems, as well as inspiring and poignant ballads; Sound Of The Saints is one of our favourite albums of the year! I had the privilege of interviewing lead singer Adam Agee (third from left) via email, about the new album. We discussed the album, which songs mean the most to the band, what Audio Adrenaline hope listeners will experience when hearing the new songs, as well as the goals and dreams for the year ahead. Check out the interview below.
- First of all, for those of you who do not know your story or your testimony, or how the four of you took up the mantle of being part of the newest incarnation of Audio Adrenaline; can you tell us a bit about yourselves, and how Sound Of The Saints came to fruition?
I was a preacher’s kid and played sports growing up. I didn’t pick up a guitar or start singing until I was 19 years old. I started playing in our youth group’s praise band at church and at the student union at Arizona State University. My band Stellar Kart started out of that youth group and we were blessed to play music for 15 years and see a lot of the world through our ministry. We were under the same management as Audio Adrenaline and I’ve known Mark and Will for a long time. It’s well documented that Audio A was a huge influence on my decision to pursue music and even the sound and style of our band. They approached me last year to ask if I’d like to be a part of Audio A, and after many hours of prayer I said yes.
Mark Stuart had the idea for “Sound of the Saints,” and that was the first song we wrote for the new album. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to write on this album and be a part of the creative team. We wanted to create an album that captured the heart of Audio A and pushed the envelope musically. Audio A has always been about the underdog and the fact that God can use anybody, regardless of who you are or where you come from, to change the world for Him. I think this album is a challenge to believers to get out of your comfort zone and tell the world about Jesus.
- You recorded the album with Seth Mosley and Joshua Silverberg; can you describe that process and what God has been teaching you during your time in the studio?
Seth and Josh are amazing. They did such a great job on this album. They’re both so talented, it was just fun to be in the same room with guys at the top of their game. The energy and excitement was palpable each day in the studio. I loved it!
Throughout this whole process, God continues to teach me humility and reliance on Him and others. I’m the kind of guy who tries to do everything myself and that’s usually where I get in trouble. God has surrounded me with so many incredible people to learn from and I understand that even after 15 years in this industry, five albums, and 2,000 shows, there’s always room for improvement.
- The lead single “Love Was Stronger”, written by Josiah James, is a CCM/pop/rock melody speaking about how Jesus’ love is stronger than any situation we are going through, and any adversary as well; what does the song mean to you and what do you think listeners will gain from it?
My favorite lyric from “Love Was Stronger” is the bridge: “I was the one who pierced your side. I put every thorn on your head. Through the feet and through the hands I placed all of my sin. But love was stronger.” The single act of love on the cross paid it all. In that moment, God’s love was and is stronger than any of my pain, struggle, disbelief, lack of faith, or resistance to His grace.
- Which song on the new album means the most to you? What was your favourite song to record?
I have a few favorites on the album, but the standout song for me is “Move.” It’s a rocking track that speaks to what Audio A has been about since the beginning and what we will continue to be about moving forward. Whether you think you’re ready or not, give it all you’ve got. God can use any of us. It was so much fun to record in the studio, everybody was dancing along each time we played it.
- Now that this is a completely a new band so to speak, how would you describe you musical sound as well as your lyrics?
I would describe our sound as energetic, fun, rock and roll, worship, pop… Lyrically, this album is both encouraging and challenging. We want to give people Hope in this life and challenge them in their faith.
- This question is directed to Adam Agee- as you were the lead singer of Stellar Kart for a couple of years, and now have taken over from Kevin Max and Josh Engler as the lead singer of Audio Adrenaline; what is your take on lead singer changes and genre changes? Do you think new lead singers should change the music style of a band?
I think a new singer in a band definitely changes the sound, but bands change their sound from album to album all the time. If you look at the history of Audio A, the sound changed drastically from “Bloom” to “Some Kind of Zombie” to “Lift”. I believe the core of the band continues on and we’ll do everything we can to make sure that happens.
- Is there anything in your life that places things in perspective as you travel and create music? Is there any song, or Bible verse, or even famous quote that reminds you about why you do what you do and why you chose music as a career and ministry?
I think becoming a dad has had the biggest effect on my perspective. While it’s impossible to understand God’s perfect love for us, I believe being a dad is the closest possible way. I love my kids so much and would do anything for them, so how much more does God love us that He would do what He did for us? Amazing love.
I chose music ministry because I felt God gave me a passion for music and He wouldn’t let me do anything else. I feel I’m right where God wants me for now, and I’ll give it everything I have. Through him I can do all things. Philippians 4:13.
Be sure to check out Audio Adrenaline’s new album Sound Of The Saints in stores now! Also, check out Audio Adrenaline’s lyric videos of the songs ‘Miracles’ and ‘Love Was Stronger’, as well as the story behind ‘Move’!