I recently had the privilege of interviewing pop/CCM trio and Provident Label Group artist 1GN (formerly 1 Girl Nation) via email as they release their second album today (April 15th). We discussed the new album, what they want listeners to hear and obtain when enjoying the collection of 10 new songs. Check out the interview below, and be sure to check out the new album on iTunes or stream it on Spotify.
- With a name change and the departure of two members, it has been a ride for 1GN over the last few years. As you gear up for Unite to release April 15th, what is the one thing you hope listeners will hear when they listen to this album? What has God been doing in your lives throughout these few years of transition?
God has taught us so much through this transition. We started writing songs for this record over two years ago, and little did we know it would be the truths in these songs that would get us here! We couldn’t be more excited to share these songs. We hope when people listen to this album they feel more empowered to live boldly for Christ! We hope they use it as tool to share the gospel with their friends!
- With so much musical diversity within the 10 tracks, from rap, to pop, dance, vocal harmonies, there’s something for any kind of CCM enthusiast (that’s me!) to love on this album. When making the album, which music style came to you the easiest, and which style did you feel brought you out of your comfort zone in a good way?
We are all so different and love many different styles of music, so when making this album, we wanted the songs to represent each of our personalities. One great thing about being in a group is that we’re constantly growing and encouraging each other to reach out of our comfort zone.
- Other than your own album Unite, which artist’s music, either from Provident or elsewhere, has impacted you, both as a group and individually, throughout 2016 thus far?
So many! We’re really big fans of the new Capital Kings, Lecrae, and Britt Nicole’s remix album!! We love that they speak truth in their songs with such a relevant sound!
- The first radio single is “Get Hype”, and while not necessarily a vertical church worship song, the melody does remind us all to get ‘hype’ and be excited, hopefully because of the change that has been within us and that we are exhibiting as we live our lives solely for Christ. What does the song mean for you personally? Which song on Unite has been your favorite to record/listen to?
“Get Hype” has been one of our favorite songs to perform live and making the music video was one of our favorite things we’ve done so far as a band! As far as the entire album goes, all three of us collectively agree that “Guard Your Heart” has been an anthem to each of us in our own lives. This song was written from Proverbs 4:23 which says “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” We want to use all the songs and truths on this album to combat the contradicting messages being thrown at our generation.
- What has been the overall highlight of the whole process of making the new album?
Making an album is a long process! We have loved every single step and aspect of making this record whether it was writing the songs, recording them, or rehearsals! However, the best part of making an album is hearing stories, whether it is on social media or at a show, of how God has used it to impact and change someone’s life!
- Who do you look up to in the music industry (CCM, or mainstream), either as a spiritual mentor, or someone you ask advice from, or if they’re someone who has influenced the band as a whole within the last few years?
We three feel it’s important to individually have mentors speaking into our lives. As a group, we truly look up to Toby Mac’s whole crew! They are the real deal. They are always genuinely kind and welcoming to us–the low man on the totem pole. You can tell they truly love Jesus and want everyone to succeed.
- For anyone who is reading this interview and is feeling discouraged or down, either because of something in their life currently or something spoken over them, what can you say to them?
As believers we’re not immune to hard times, and the three of us definitely know what it feels like to be discouraged. But as believers we have verses like Galatians 6:9 which says “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up” to hold on to and claim during those hard times. We even wrote a song on this record called “Panic” to remind us to not freak out when times are bad, to remember to go to Gods promises and hold tight to them. God has a crazy way of turning your mess into a message, and turning bad things for His good.
- 1GN has been in the music industry for a few years. What keeps you grounded and places things in perspective as you travel and create music? Is there any song, or Bible verse, or even famous quote that reminds you about why you do what you do and the motivation behind it all?
Along with spending time daily in God’s Word, we are surrounded by amazing friends and family that encourage us and remind us why we do what we do. Honestly, we feel we are just normal (and weird) girls that get to make fun music about Jesus!